Status: OPEN to queries
Literary and Upmarket Fiction:
Kat is drawn to strong, character-driven works with rich, literary prose. She loves books that make her think and have a strong emotional pull.
- Adult Contemporary
- Women’s Fiction
- Adult & YA Multicultural Lit
- Adult Historical works featuring family sagas. Think Amy Tan’s Joy Luck Club or Walter Dean Myers’ The Glory Field.
- YA Contemporary that isn’t afraid to tackle the hard topics. Books in a similar vein as Adam Silvera’s More Happy Than Not, Stephen Chbosky’s The Perks of Being a Wallflower, or Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak.
Other favorites: Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys¸ Big Fish by Daniel Wallace, About a Boy by Nick Hornby, Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison, The Leavers by Lisa Ko, and Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.
For the commercial market, Kat is looking for high concept, voice-driven works with a close POV and well-developed, distinct characters.
- Science Fiction, specifically space operas or something dark and twisty similar to an episode of Black Mirror
- Low, epic fantasies and dark urban fantasies where the worldbuilding reflects a non-Europe based setting
- Quirky and fun Women’s Fiction and Rom-Coms like Bridget Jones’ Diary by Helen Fielding
- YA-all genres
Other favorites: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Shades of Magic series by V.E. Schwab, The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger, and Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire.
- Religion and Spirituality that focus on a universal, humanitarian message much like God Is Not A Christian and The Book of Joy
- Narrative nonfiction and journalistic non-fiction tackling current affairs and social justice issues, particularly covering topics of racism, immigration, LGBTQIA+ rights, gender equality, and poverty
- Cookbooks that are edgy and fresh (think Thug Kitchen), inspired by pop culture (similar to Eat Like A Gilmore), or anything that spotlights authentic, regional cuisine from across the globe
- Travel books that merge cuisine and culture in a way that would make Anthony Bourdain proud
- Select biographies and memoirs
Do not send:
- Plots/themes centering around unresolved rape or abuse, or child abuse
- Previously published or self-published works
- MG, Chapter books, picture books
- Novellas, short stories, or poetry collections
- Military/war stories
For more information about how to query Kat or other DMLA agents, please visit maassagency.com.